Wednesday, March 19, 2008

HL2: Ep2 - So Far...

(Limited Spoliers)

I have just done that bit of Half Life 2: Episode 2, that bit with those striders and those hunters.

Oh My God!

Valve have just created so many perfect moments, from the blind-tentacles and the marines in Half Life, to playing catch with Dog and Ravenholm in Half Life 2, to the Strider in Episode 1. They combine all these elements brilliantly in Ep 2. The fear of running from an unbeatable enemy, the vehicles, the gravity puzzles, the crouched-sneaking section, the Combine, the zombies, the section where you cannot touch the ground. Linking both drama and action, carrying each scene past bursting but keeping it feeling natural. I even cried at that opening bit with Alyx. And, argg! Hunters!

Valve have created the perfect game in Episode 2, and I have not finished yet. I am about 2/3 of the way through.

Oh My God!

(PS. "They Combine all these elements..." - best pun ever! I crack myself up!)

1 comment:

Lukasa said...

Agreed. But I still firmly stick to Ravenholm being the best extended moment of the series thus far, with the farewell with Father Grigori being the high point. Mmm, Requiem For Ravenholm brings back such memories.

That said, the cryptic G-man represents my main reason to continue playing: much as I want to learn about the Borealis, the G-man remains my true fascination with the series. I suspect there are few characters as compelling as him in modern audiovisual media.