Friday, March 21, 2008

HL2: Ep2 - The End...

(Limited Spoilers and Speculation)

Turns out that after that bit with those striders and those hunters, and the magnusson devices, that was the last bit of shooting, leaving one of the best bits of Half Life, and some great storytelling from Valve.

I was in shock by that ending. I love Dog, he has saved my life so many times. I love the way Valve build relationships between charachters, and that made the final scenes all the more distressing. But, is it definite that, he who is dead, is dead? I believe he must be. I wish there was some way of hoping he was not, but that would be living in denial. I just wish we could have had an uninterupted talk, so I could have found out what he knew about the G-Man.

Now I have a very tough choice. What was the best bit of The Orange Box. This choice, I will have to avoid, because my feeble mind cannot comprehend the answer.

My predictions for Episode 3, we will travel, by helecopter, to the Borealis, and to rescue Julia. The whole principle of the Borealis confuses me. What were Apeture attempting to do again? Something with portals, if I recall, which could be very appetising to stranded combine forces. I predict it will be in snow, and underground, and on the Borealis for much of the game, there will be a reason why we cannot fulfil our promise to Eli and destroy it straight away. I dont think Gordon will get the Portal Gun, although I think it may be involved, the same for Glados. And, am I the only one dissapointed by the fact that we havent seen Barney in ages? And will Odessa Cubbage return?

My hopes for Half Life 3 are different. I like the principle of one full game, followed be expanion episodes, which was been sucessful with both HL and HL2. I dont think Valve will abandon Gordon, he and Alyx will probably be put into stasis, or Alyx will have gotten older, I pray that we do not lose her.

I hope Valve build an entire new generation engine, Source II, and add all manner of new things. This, I predict, will not come until 2011, at the earliest, with Half Life 3 following soon after.

The is only one thing I don't want. NEVER SHOW THE SEVEN-HOUR WAR! If George Lucas has taught me anything, it is that climatic, world-shattering battles are often best left unseen. I do not want to be a rebelious citizen during that war. Please dont be stupid valve.
I lve you too much for you to let me down.

Now I have nothing to do but replay Ravenholm for a year-or-so. Oh-well. It could be worse...

1 comment:

John "J-snukk" Neicho said...

very nice DDude you style is unique and gratifying, its pleases the senses, allot of your speculation is most definitely very possible and even probable,I am convinced however, if there is a Half-Life 3 Alyx will not be in it and i strongly suspect she dies in episode 3, in fact I strongly suspect everyone dies, but Gordon who is put into stasis again by the Gman who, we will most probably still know nothing about, however i hazard that we shall know allot more about the combine and Aperture science. I would also like to make clear that I believe Earth will be restored to the hands of Humanity and the combine will be banished, cue know enemies and plot-lines for Half-Life 3. It would not be good for the Combine plot line to stagnate and repeat itself, while the G-man plot should be present throughout the whole series, as the Xen plot has the Combine plot should also depart, but possibly still be linked in a way to the next story. And there are my thoughts, i think I have also expressed th opinion of a paradox involving Gordan and G-man, but I cant be bothered to explain that now.