Saturday, February 16, 2008

Reviewing. A Review. This title gets 43%.

Today I am reviewing reviewing. As I typed that sentence word decided that I'd gone mad and mistakenly typed reviewing twice, so deleted it. Word is wrong. I hate word. Just look at it, sitting there with its blue UI.

Anyway, on with the review. The main problem with "reviewing" is that unless you get a decent start to the review you may as well give up, and when you do get a decent start it's nigh on impossible to go smoothly from there to the rest of the review. Once the first few paragraphs are done you're fine, but it's damned hard to get past the first sentence, let alone any further. I have 5 or so review starts in My Documents. Most of them I didn't save but here are a few:

I consider it my own small protest against the foolishly big, irritatingly short range weapons available that I always snipe on UT3. I would say it's a peaceful protest but the UT3 announcer shouting HEADSHOT at me is hardly peaceful.

Nope, don't like that one. Too difficult to move on from there to the game mechanics.

My engine has started to rattle. Anxiously I stare down at the dials, leavers and buttons before me. I don't know what any of them do so I throttle back my engine to preserve it. The rattling becomes louder. Guessing that the end is nigh I calmly lower my undercarriage and throttle back some more. The rattle reaches a climax, becomes a screech, then silence. The wind whistling past my now diving plane is the only sound I hear. Looking down I see a clearing in the forest- the perfect landing spot. I put my flaps to the landing position and begin to glide smoothly down. A textbook forced landing. Or not. My plane wheels disintegrate on the rough grass- plowing my plane into the ground. The wings sheer off but eventually I skid to a halt. Welcome to IL2.

Boring.

Theme hospital is like Marmite. You either love it or you hate it. Many people would be turned away the instant they saw the cute pixelart graphics. Many people would mock its cheery soundtrack. Many people would eschew it in favour of something gritty and free roaming. Many people would laugh at me if I admitted that I got owned by it again and again and again. Like marmite this game hides a dark and sadistic core beneath its soft, gooey exterior.

Nice, but irritating to move on from, as you're stuck talking about the cuteness for ages.

So you see, starting reviews is rubbish. This is in part made up for with the glorious middle sections of the review. They're like the delicious filling of a custard cream, sliding effortlessly onto the page. However, like the filling of a custard cream the paragraphs are shorter than the hard bits, and eventually you come to the end. Summing up a game is annoying, because you've just written 600 words on the bloody thing and now have to condense those into 20 words that are going to be remembered, thus are the most important. This frankly sucks, but then at least you get to making up a score. This is easy. Think if you liked the game and pluck a suitable sounding number out of the air.

I give reviewing 68%. Its good, but a lot of hassle to begin with and a frustrating ending.


 


 

1 comment:

grey_painter said...

I'm sure there is more to deciding the score than just plucking a number out the air. Something more scientific...possibly involving dice.

Its a problem with all writing though knowing how to start. Even worse on scientific papers where you really shouldn't use humour. And I had a great sheep joke for that paper on domestication of non-bovine animals past and present.