Sunday, January 20, 2008

TF2 review in 200 words.

I wrote this for the uncensored of PCG, but they didnt post it. :(

Review of Team Fortress 2

Woot! I killed Jaffacake_Killer! The words flitted joyously through my head as I watched my beautifully rendered pyro strumming his fire axe in triumph. No doubt at that moment the great Jaffa himself was gazing mournfully at a dramatic freeze-frame of my pyro, mid strum, standing over his remains- so cheekily pointed out to him with little boxes exclaiming “your head!” “your appendix!” and “another bit!”

The uplifting scene above illustrates, for me, precisely what makes TF2 so great. The whole game is infused with a wonderfully dark sense of humour, relishing in every death. You can almost hear Gabe cackling from afar as a spy gets healed by a medic and then stabs him ungratefully In the back.

It’s a far cry from cheerless CS:S (or for that matter, TFC) which is so… austere… yet is still anomalously populated with screaming 10 year olds. It is ironic that TF2 has a visual style so like the Pixar films they enjoy watching while having such a friendly and mature community. Perhaps it is the emphasis on teamwork throughout the game. CS:S is every ma… boy for themselves, whereas In TF2 you will find yourself devising manically cunning plans with all and sundry for the greater good.

And finally (this deserves repetition) I can kill senior forumites! Their respect, maturity and skill is no match for my impish impetuosity!

95%

No comments: