Sunday, January 20, 2008

Half Life 2 - Striders

I was moving swiftly over obstacles without any idea where i was going. I heard some survivors and ran over to pause upon hearing a strange noise. I turned round slowly like something out of the films as a strider stopped over building smashing them to pieces. My reaction was to run but all I could do was stare amazed in wonder at the monstrous machine-alien-thing stomping towards me. I heard rockets being fired from behind me at the strider but was transfixed. It was at that point i realised that Half Life 2 contained more than the usual amount of zombies, hot girls following you around and shotguns. It was art. The sheer beauty of which the strider 0wn3d the survivors was just awe-inspiring. The striders screech made me run for cover. I was trapped under some fallen debris knowing there was a strider up there probably moving into position to mutilate my body when I emerged. I'm going to stop describing what happens now incase i pull a spoiler.

Why Half Life 2? I mean tons of other games have zombies, hot girls and tripods.

It's the way they present themselves. You walk into a building looking for ammo and hear a zombie's cry. You turn round suddenly very paranoid and wondering if you are the only one in the room. You see the door to your left start to move and hit the F key. God i love the F key. The role of flashlights is another post though. I move over towards the door with my shotgun equiped and a heacrab attacks me from the rear and all hell breaks lose. "Can't...see...stupid...headcrab..." Then you hear the zombie's cry again but it sounds closer... You turn round and see the zombie about to throw a barrel at you. It hits you square in the face and you are dazed as the headhumper humps your head.

Small sequences like these are perfectly portrayed and evoke precisely the right emotions required in such a situation.

I rest my case.

Hidden

No comments: