Sunday, April 6, 2008

J-Film #10 - 'Son of Rambow'

If you haven't heard of this film, you must be suffering from a rather severe case of death. It has been all over the TV, all over the radio and all over the net, and on all of these places it has been rated as a superb film. I am obliged to agree with them: the film is very, very good.

Its filmed lovingly, with a loving story and a lovable cast of characters, and yes, while it's lovable, and syrupy, and chuck-worthy and not my cup of mountain dew, this probably goes a long way to explain its extreme commercial success; after all, the media and East-Ender riddled cretins love a nice, happy tale, full of loveliness. But I'm afraid that'll never be me.

However, if you do happen to like this sort of thing, it's practically a perfect example of the genre. There is not much to say about it, really, it is a lovely moist cake of loveliness, with a filling of lovely and some humour drizzled on top. It really is quite good.

This film wouldn't have scored so highly with me, but for one very important feature: it pisses straight in the face of religion. Now, I'm not trying to say I hate religion...oh wait, I do. To avoid getting into an argument I'll just say that I really loved how the film did this, and consequently it's going to get an extra point in the rundown.

I realise this is a relatively short review, but there isn't much to say: it just works. And just like 'Hair Spray' and many others, while it's nothing spectacular, its very nature means that it becomes a shining beacon of win.

On another note, next time I shall be looking at either 'Never Back Down' or 'Funny Games'. If it ever comes out at fucking Stevenage Cineworld that is.

Rundown -

Shooting: 8

Characterization: 9

Soundtrack: 6

Plot: 8

Effects: 8

Variable field dependent on context and genre - Kicking religion in 'teh nutz': 10

Overall J-score: 9/10

If there is anything you would like little Johnny to know do not hesitate to email him at Johnny.neicho@sky.com (Oh Comon)

No comments: